Re: kde 2.2.x on potato (self compiled)

KDE 2.2.2 runs well compiled on Debian potato. Attached is a file of notes I made to help me remember the options. The login manager does not run since it requires some editing of the X startup files - which I do not have the patience to deal with - so I just type startx at the command line. Hope this helps.

Paul Winkler

Eckhard Lehmann wrote:

Hi,

has anyone got running a self compiled kde 2.2.x on a potato machine?

I tried it out with ./configure --prefix=/usr/kde2.2.2 [...]

The kdelibs and kdebase compiled fine, but now I can't start it. I set $KDEDIR to /usr/kde2.2.2 and wrote in $HOME/.xinitrc "exec /usr/kde2.2.2/bin/startkde". Then I run startx and the splash appears. But when kde "detects the connected devices" this button on the splash is blinking very long time and after this the splash disappears. I can close the xserver only with C-A-Del, then I see the error message:

----
[...]
Could not dlopen library dcopserver.la: /usr/kde2.2.2/lib/dcopserver.so: undefined symbol: _KDE_IcePoMagicCookie1Proc
_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPServer up and running.
Could not dlopen library klauncher.la: /usr/kde2.2.2/lib/klauncher.so: undefined symbol: id__C14KStartupInfoId Could not dlopen library kded.la: /usr/kde2.2.2/lib/kded.so: undefined symbol: emergencyClose__10DCOPClient
kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
QSocketNotifier: Multiple socket notifiers for same socket 6 and type read
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

waiting for X server to shut down
----

Maybe a linking problem? I can't really get on with this.
Kde 2.1.2 from the debian packages works fine on my system.

What is wrong? Do I have a chance to run kde 2.2.x on debian potato, in general?
Thanks a lot for your response in advance.

Eckhard

To Compile the K Desktop -

/root/.profile -                         KDEDIR= /usr/local/kde
                                         QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
                                         PATH=/$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
                                         MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
                                         LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                                         export PATH QTDIR KDEDIR MANPATH  LD_LIBRARY_PAT

 Item                                       Comments

QT library                            ( requires libjpeg62-dev )

                                       ./configure -release -shared -gif
                                       -sm -thread -qt-zlib -qt-libpng
                                       -no-mng -system-jpeg -no-nas-sound
                                       -no-g++-exceptions

kdesupport                                   ----

kdelibs                                ./configure  --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl  --enable-debug
                                          ( requires -  zlib1g-dev,  libpcre, libpcre-devel)

kdebase                                ./configure  --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl
                                        --with-lesstif-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
                                        --with-lesstif-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

                                         (requires -   lesstif1 and lesstif-dev)

kdenetwork                                  ----

kdegraphics                              ( requires libtiff3g-dev   )

kdeutils                                    ----

kdeadmin                                    ----

kdeaddons                                   ----

kdemultimedia                            ( requires libpng2-dev )

Notes:
		Lesstif1 required for kdebase for  flash plugin for Konqueror
		OpenSSL required for Konqueror to use encryption

koffice	                                    ----

kdeartwork                                  ----

kdevelop                                    ----

kdeaddons                                   ----

kdepim                                      ----

OpenSSL                                   shared