Re: 2.2.2 changes

On Sunday 11 November 2001 00:47, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 12:38:01AM +0100, Jens Benecke wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 03:51:33PM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> >
> > > Ok folks...I'm making a change that'll affect user config's.  The config
> > > dir which by default points to $(prefix)/share/config is being changed to
> > > $(prefix)/share/kde2/config which means that the files in
> > > ~/.kde/share/config will no longer be used but rather a new
> > > ~/.kde/share/kde2/config will appear...so all your config stuff that w..

Argl.  kde_wall "No KDE update tomorrow.  Sorry guys"   ;)

> > Can you explain _why_ you are making this change?
> > Or is it too complicated ;)
>
> interoperability really.  Currently we don't use /usr/share/config which
> KDE defaults to for configuration files...instead we go with /etc/kde2 to
> follow FHS and Debian policy and we provide a /etc/kderc file to tell KDE
> about it since the core system doesn't like things outside of it's $(prefix).

Did you find out why?  Is it a s/// that does not work for kde_config outside
$(prefix) or is $(prefix)/config hardcoded?

> This is all fine and dandy except when we start looking at kde3.  I don't
> want to hose up configuration files or other things when we start doing
> things with kde3.  So this allows for us to do away with /etc/kderc and

Great!  I hate the /etc/kderc ;)

> just provide a hardcoded (since it's with KDE's $(prefix)) per release
> config dir.  /usr/share/kde2/config would be a link to /etc/kde2 and
> /usr/share/kde3/config would be a link to /etc/kde3 and thus we can tell
> kde apps about config settings without having a confliction between what
> kde3 uses and what kde2 uses.

Hmm, are you sure that .../kde{2,3}/config  works together?
AFAIU there the kded(?) daemon that scan/caches config stuff during session login.
So a KDE3 syscoca would ignore system/user config files in .../kde2/config.
KDE 2 apps saving config changes would write to kde2/config.  Restarting the
app and it looks like the changes are forgotten.

While I like to get rid of /etc/kderc I don't beleave that kde{2,3}/config
is worth the possible trouble.

Achim