Re: 2.2.2 changes

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 04:49:19AM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 11. November 2001 00:47 schrieb Ivan E. Moore II:
> > interoperability really.  Currently we don't use /usr/share/config which
> > KDE defaults to for configuration files...instead we go with /etc/kde2 to
> > follow FHS and Debian policy and we provide a /etc/kderc file to tell KDE
> > about it since the core system doesn't like things outside of it's
> > $(prefix). This is all fine and dandy except when we start looking at kde3.
> >  I don't want to hose up configuration files or other things when we start
> > doing things with kde3.  So this allows for us to do away with /etc/kderc
> > and just provide a hardcoded (since it's with KDE's $(prefix)) per release
> > config dir.  /usr/share/kde2/config would be a link to /etc/kde2 and
> > /usr/share/kde3/config would be a link to /etc/kde3 and thus we can tell
> > kde apps about config settings without having a confliction between what
> > kde3 uses and what kde2 uses.
>
> If it is /etc/kde[2,3] why not ~/.kde[2,3] ???
> Other non-kde apps seem to put their icons into that dir (e.g
> StarOffice6.0beta) and you need a symlink .kde2 -> .kde anyway.

because ~/.kde is the user's $(prefix) wheras /usr is the system's $(prefix)

The question would be is there a need to seperate more than just the
config files?  If you seperate it all out then you won't have the ability
to have both versions interoperating in some situations.

applications using ~/.kde2 are wrong in doing so as the default is ~/.kde

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II