Re: trying to upgrade KDE - now nothing works!

On Saturday 03 November 2001 12:27, Rachel Andrew wrote:
> >  I had first to unistall
> >
> > > all KDE packages and install the new ones after and than it worked.
> >
> >It works if you don't, but the system is "cleaner" if you do so. Make sure
> > to install ALL KDE2.2 related apps from unstable!!! (especially the libs
> > and doc-debs!!!) But all in all it works really fine, I'm just writing
> > from a woody-box with sid's KDE-packages... and my KDE-session is running
> > several days now...
>
> ok.. so I have got it downloading Woody from testing. Once I have that
> installed should I then uninstall any KDE related stuff?
>
> Then where do I find the KDE2.2 binaries? In unstable? How do I just get
> those and not end up upgrading accidentally to the unstable version of
> Debian? (I'm still struggling a bit with apt-get so apologies if these are
> really silly questions).
>
> Rachel

   Greetings Rachel,

I understand your fear!  KDE is included with your new sources list.  You
will no longer need to specify a seperate entry just for KDE since the qt
library issue was resolved.  Here is cp of my active source list from
/etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
non-free

If you have broadband, this won't be much of an issue. Took less then 10
minutes for me to upgrade from potato to woody with cable modem.  It however
took a little longer to set up the new applications like 'x' and several
others.

I wouldn't pull your kde out just yet.  Do the upgrade and see how well apt
handles what you already had installed.  If it becomes an issue, then pull
them (apt-get remove pacagewhatever --purge).  Another way is dselect; when
you mark a package for removal, a dependency page will come up, where it will
tell you all the other things it recommends removing.  dselect however, is
still a pain when you are still learning the ropes.

The new look and feel of woody is very nice though.

hth.

tatah

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.