Re: Creating new kernel with initrd?, Custom kernel: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:05

El Mar 30 Oct 2001 21:50, Timothy Webster escribió:
> Has anybody else who has experience this problem found a solution?

> kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
>
> -tim.

Yes I have experienced the problem and I found a solution that worked for me.
The problem is that possibly your root partition is an ext2 one and the
binary kernel that you are presummably using has ext2 as module. When the
kernel starts the ext2 module is not loaded and therefore it cannot mount the
root partition (well this is my guess).

How to solve it?. I think that you need to edit /etc/mkinitrd/modules and
uncomment the ext2 line and later you have to do something like

mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-2.4.12-test /lib/modules/2.4.12

and run lilo again.
Lilo should have a line like:

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.12-test

 If you do not have a mkinitrd directory you need to install package
initrd-tools and mkcramfs.

Pablo de Vicente
KDE Spanish translation team