Programs Won't Start

On my Debian unstable system, programs are not starting as fast as they once
did and often are simply not starting.

I followed the tips and turned off the opening screen in Konqueror and
noticed that it started up in less that 5 seconds.  Now I can choose it from
the Internet menu and the hourglass will animate with the Konqueror name up
in the application panel for up to 45 seconds, but Konqueror will not start
nor open a window.

Unless something changes, I am without Konqueror for the moment.

Any ideas are much appreciated.
--
Comments and information are appreciated.
Flames, rants, and other miscellany are routed to /dev/null.

Robert Tilley, tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com