Re: kdm dies

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:57:56 +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen
<ossi@kde.org> wrote:

>> Which configuration file would cause kdm to use a different server
>> than startx?
>>
>startx is not a server. it's a wrapper to xinit, which starts the server
>specified in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc. but that has _nothing_ to do with
>kdm.

<laugh>  I understand what startx is.  My question was "What
would cause kdm to start xfree with a different server than
is utilized when xfree is started via the startx script?"
Under xfree 3.?, I believe that the server was specified in
XF86Config.  I'm not sure where it's specified under xfree
4.1.  An admittedly somewhat cursory look through the xfree
documentation hasn't shown me the answer.

>kdm's x-server config file is /etc/kde2/kdm/Xservers. possibly it's
>starting the X wrapper; in this case you would have to change the
>/etc/X11/X symlink (or just run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common").

Argh!  First place I looked was /etc/X11/Xserver.  The file
existed; the first line was a reference to
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA.  I changed that to XFree86 and was
sure I'd fixed the problem.  Of course, I hadn't.  I assume
that file is a remnant of an earlier version of kdm?

In any event, editing the proper Xservers file fixed the
problem.  I suspect that I did indeed have the wrong version
of xlibs installed.  In the process of repairing that by
forcing a reinstall, I also switched from using the 3.?
server to the 4.1 server but the Xservers file didn't get
updated.   I solved one problem and created another with the
same symptoms - kdm failed to load but xfree and kde worked
fine if started manually.

Thanks immensely for helping me get this figured out.  I'd
never have gotten it figured out without your assistance.

Dan