Re: apt 0.5.4: preferences file

On Sat, 2001-10-13 at 19:27, Bruce Miller wrote:
> I put in a lot of effort yesterday studying the man pages for apt and
> apt_preferences as well as the APT HOWTO which is buried deep
> in the Debian website.
>
> To no avail. apt turned up its nose at my feeble attempt to write a
> preferences file. I usually beat my head against the brick wall until I
> figure out obscure documentation but on this one, the patience isn't
> forthcoming.
>
> Rather than ask help, if someone has a smoothly functioning
> /etc/apt/preferences file which they would be willing to share,
> please e-mail it to me (bruce.miller@ottawa.com) and I will use it
> to figure out where I went wrong on the concepts.

This question has been asked a lot recently. The list archive has the
answer: There was extensive discussion on the list in June, since man
apt_preferences is not particularly clear on several things.
deb-user@LuftHans.com has cleared a lot of things up for us in this very
helpful post:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200106/msg00876.html

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government