select gui at startup

Hello all,

Obviously I am new to KDE.  I suspect that this question will entertain the
usual RTFM comments, but I nonetheless ask for any help or direction.

I have just set myself up with 2.2r3, my first debian, and have GNOME
opening on boot, but I would like to know how to (1) make GNOME not start on
boot, so that (2) I can start KDE (either at boot or from the console).  I
have no idea how to do any of these things.
I did 'apt-get install kdebase,' it says it worked, and don't know where to
go from here.

If there's a place I can read about this, please point me to it.

Thanks in advance,
- Will