Re: select gui at startup

On Saturday 08 September 2001 08:17, William K. Coulter wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi,

If you have installed correctly KDE, you should have a startkde script in
your path. If I understood you correctly, you log in the console and do a
startx, right?. If that is correct, modify/create a .xinitrc file in your
home with the startkde command. Give it exec. perms and it should work

If you login using some kind of xdm clone (xdm, gdm, wdm, or whatever) you
should read the docu. of the login manager to know where are the init.
scripts. In gdm, take a look at the directory  /etc/gdm/Sessions/

> Obviously I am new to KDE.  I suspect that this question will entertain the
> usual RTFM comments, but I nonetheless ask for any help or direction.
>
> I have just set myself up with 2.2r3, my first debian, and have GNOME
> opening on boot, but I would like to know how to (1) make GNOME not start
> on boot, so that (2) I can start KDE (either at boot or from the console).
> I have no idea how to do any of these things.
> I did 'apt-get install kdebase,' it says it worked, and don't know where to
> go from here.
>
> If there's a place I can read about this, please point me to it.

Take a look at how X starts. man X xinit startx. Also linuxdoc.org has good
documentation and howtos, so, Read The Fine Manual ! :-)

Hope that helps

> Thanks in advance,
> - Will

Cheers

Pedro
- --

/*
 * Pedro Diaz Jimenez: pdiaz88@terra.es, pdiaz@acm.asoc.fi.upm.es
 *
 * GPG KeyID: E118C651
 * Fingerprint: 1FD9 163B 649C DDDC 422D  5E82 9EEE 777D E118 C65
 *
 * http://planetcluster.org
 * Clustering & H.P.C. news and documentation
 *
 * "La sabiduria me persigue, pero yo soy mas rapido"
 */