kdm login problems :(

maybe this is a dumb question but i can't seem to figure it out.

I just installed KDE2 on my potato powerpc box.  everything seems to work
fine except the graphical login (kdm?)  when i boot i don't get any errors
and kdm 'apparently' starts perfectly, however it switches to terminal #1
right away and on term 7 all i have is a flashing cursor in the top left hand
corner.  i can startx from any term and it works no problem (on term7), but
i'dd really like to get this graphical login workin.  has anyone had a
problem like this?, or know where i should look to see what exactly is going
on?

thanks

-steve