Re: apt-get package priorities / installing KDE troubles

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Matthew_Collier@scee.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running an up-to-date "testing" system and I would like to upgrade a
> minimum set of packages so that I can use KDE 2.2 without useing the
> rest of unstable.
> <i think it's safe to snip here>
>
> if you don't want to upgrade your system to unstable, don't use apt-get
> dist-upgrade
>
> just add the sid lines to /etc/apt/sources.list, then
> apt-get update
> apt-get install kdelibs3 kdebase (and anything else you might want)

I'm afraid this doesn't work. The message I get is:

|gandalf:/etc/apt# apt-get install kdelibs3 kdebase
|Reading Package Lists... Done
|Building Dependency Tree... Done
|The following extra packages will be installed:
|  debconf groff groff-base hylafax-client kdebase-libs kdm
|  kformula koffice koffice-libs konqueror konsole kontour kscd
|  kscreensaver kugar libarts libkonq3 libmimelib1
|  libmysqlclient10 libqt2 libqutil1 libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
|  mpeglib mysql-client mysql-server xlibs
|The following packages will be REMOVED:
|  apt-utils artsbuilder gimp1.2 gimp1.2-nonfree gimp1.2-print
|  gnome-bin gnome-libs-data kde-designer kdebase-audiolibs
|  killustrator libarts-dev libgimp1.2 libgnome32
|  libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32 libgnorba27 libgtk1.2
|  libgtk1.2-dev libgtkxmhtml1 libkmid libqt-dev noatun pilrc
|  toshutils xmms xmms-modplug
|The following NEW packages will be installed:
|  kontour
|27 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 26 to remove and 164  not
|upgraded.
|Need to get 30.4MB of archives. After unpacking 60.1MB will be freed.
|Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

This will still remove gimp1.2, the Toshiba Utilities, pilrc (a PalmOS
resource compiler, which is a command line tool which has absolutely
nothing to do with kde) and xmms, all of which I need!

I would still prefer to have sid permanently in /etc/apt/sources.list
and prevent upgrades to sid by setting appropriate preferences because
this would allow me to have sid's package list cached without needing to
reload it from the server every time I decide to install something from
sid.
Can someone explain the problems I have seen with setting the
preferences??

Walter