Re: KDE and mp3 ripping support.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:16:09PM +0100, John Gay wrote:

> >If you mean software players, Vorbis plays on almost all of them, if you
> have
> >a recent version.

> Is that 'ALL' software players, or just the Linux ones? In many Office

www.vorbis.com also provides plug-ins for windows, Mac, Amiga, and several
other players.

> situations the workers find they only have access to M$ Media player.
> Does this play ogg vorbis files?

You mean the player that keeps wanting to autoconvert your MP3s to WMA,
which you then can only play on the computer the conversion was done on?

(This is called "Protect my music" in the settings - ROTFL)

> The hardware players are important too, thus mp3 compatibility is needed.

You are welcome to persuade the Fraunhofer Institut to publish their code
in a way so that the KDE people will not be threatened by lawsuits.

Perhaps enough money will help. I don't know.

> I beleive there are even some CD players that can now play mp3's as well
> as CDDA. This would let you have your entire Music collection on one CD!

ROTFL! ;-)

Even if I encoded my whole music collection with 128k MP3 (which I don't
- most of them are 160k here) I would still have a couple dozen CDs.

> Again, you would need to use the mp3 format for burning these disc's.

I think this'll change.

You would think companies will soon switch to a format that is not hunted
down by the RIAA and sued to death by perverted laws like DMCA and HRA.

--
Jens Benecke
http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Die kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale für ganz Europa