can't log into KDE using Ximian's gdm

Greetings.

I'm a KDE 2.1.1 user on my Debian potato 2.2r3 machine who also plays around
wtih Ximian GNOME. Well, after the latest "upgrade" from Ximian, gdm thinks
KDE isn't installed on my system. I'm tired of Ximian GNOME breaking things
on my computer right and left, and I think I want to switch over to use kdm.

What's the best way to switch so that I'll still be able to log in to both
KDE 2.1.1 and Ximian GNOME?

Thanks,
Jim

--
JWL@maine.rr.com

"It is music which reveals to us most clearly what
masters we are in the rapid and subtle divination
of feelings and in empathising."
        --Nietzsche, Daybreak