Re: can't log into KDE using Ximian's gdm

On 2001.05.24 20:18:34 +0200 James Lindenschmidt wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I'm a KDE 2.1.1 user on my Debian potato 2.2r3 machine who also plays
> around
> wtih Ximian GNOME. Well, after the latest "upgrade" from Ximian, gdm
> thinks
> KDE isn't installed on my system. I'm tired of Ximian GNOME breaking
> things
> on my computer right and left, and I think I want to switch over to use
> kdm.
>
> What's the best way to switch so that I'll still be able to log in to
> both
> KDE 2.1.1 and Ximian GNOME?

The list of availables Session Managers available with GDM is stored in
/etc/X11/gdm.
In previous releases, this directory was a link to /etc/gdm, where KDE
session file is, but with the last release it's a real directory.
I think you could move (or copy or link) your /etc/gdm/Sessions/KDE file to
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/KDE, but I didn't tested this solution ; you could
also move all the /etc/X11/gdm stuff to /etc/gdm and recreate the link...

If you want to switch from gdm to kdm, just replace the link
/etc/rc2.d/S99gdm with a link S99kdm to /etc/init.d/kdm and that should be
OK.

If you try any of these, could you give me your feedback...??

Thierry