Re: AA with potato (strictly)

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 04:41:46PM -0700, George Farris wrote:

> As I understand it this is basically horse hockey.  They could choose to
> release the correct programming information about the hardware.  Problem
> solved.

No, they cannot, because it is not theirs to choose. They purchased code
from other companies and signed an NDA. End of story.

Of course, they *could* theoretically rewrite the code (which would
probably get them sued for copyright infringement or whatever, because they
know the source from the other companies) or try bargaining out a new
agreement with the extrenal companies.

But I don't think that they will do this, anyway not before Linux users
make at least 50% of their user base ....

Of course, I got all this from a Nvidia developer, so take this with a
grain of salt. But the problem is not that they don't want to release code,
the problem is that a) the code is not in a state to be released (re:
documentation etc.) and b) they are not ALLOWED.

--
Jens Benecke                            > "Dann nimm lieber gleich Pattex!"
                "Na, ob das was hilft - der Hersteller ist schließlich eine