Re: KDE2.1 final packages - only the necessary?

On Wednesday 21 March 2001 05:13 am, Julien Gilles wrote:
> Viktor Lakics <lakicsv@usa.net> writes:
> > Hi Debianers,
> > So I am really confused about what is essential to download for a
> > working KDE2.1 on potato...

[--snip--]
> > In the past, when I used an rpm based distro, kde was packaged into
> > bigger chunks, and it was easy to decide which is essential for the
> > system.

Because apt is able to resolve the dependencies for you, this isn't
necessary and is actually quite wasteful.   As a matter of fact, once you
have your system mostly installed, the smaller packages become an
advantage for you as a dial-up user as you install new things, or grab the
latest updates stuff from security.debian.org (for the stable
distribution).

Personally, I'd suggest that you just figure out what packages you want
installed (maybe using dselect, which is cryptic but very helpfull), and
let the downloads happen overnight.  If you set your dialup to terminate
when the link is idle, then it'll hang up a few minutes after your last
downloaded package.  This is what I did.

Once you take a looke at /usr/doc/apt/ (as suggested below), you might
want to investigate apt-zip, which might do the work for you (never used
it, so I don't know how it does it's job).  This solution may be dependant
on the OS you're running at work.

> > Could anyone point me the right direction in terms of what packages
> > should I download for a basic KDE system? After that I do not mind to
> > use apt-get and gradually getting the remaining debs at the pace I
> > like...
>
> Look in /usr/doc/apt in "offline.html" (not sure of the filename) ; it
> explains how to generate a script with apt-get using wget to download
> all needed files. So you can use your dialup connection to 'apt-get
> update', select what you need, generate the script, and use this script
> to download at work. Good luck !

This would of course be the more generic, os-independant solution over
apt-zip, since he's obviously not running debian at work (as he mentioned
he's never run debian at all yet).  Unless apt-zip just creates a wget
script... I've never used it myself.

Presumably, you may not have access to the /usr/share/doc/apt document
right now, and you probably want a solution before you begin your install;
if you need someone to sent you a copy of the document mentioned above,
send me a message and I'll return it to you in an attachment (it's only
4k, but it shouldn't be sent over the mailing list, and shouldn't be sent
to everyone).