Re: KDE2.1 final packages - only the necessary?

Viktor Lakics <lakicsv@usa.net> writes:

> Hi Debianers,
>
> I am new to Debian, but not to Linux. I will install potato at the end of this
> week, and I would like to put the kde2.1 final onto it. I know, I could use
> apt-get to do this, but I only have a dialup connection. So I decided to go to
> the potato (main) mirrors at kde.debian.net to download the packages at work
> where the bandwith is higher. In the potato/main/i386binaries/ directory, I've
> found zillions of packages some of them not releted to kde2.1 final at all.
> Also, when looked at the packages description, I found that there are
> conflicting basic packages like this:
>
> Package: kdebase
> Version: 4:2.1.0.1-0.potato4
> <snip>
> Conflicts: konqueror (<< 4:2.1-final-0), konsole (<< 4:2.1-final-0)
>
> So I am really confused about what is essential to download for a working
> KDE2.1 on potato...
>
> In the past, when I used an rpm based distro, kde was packaged into bigger
> chunks, and it was easy to decide which is essential for the system.
But bigger chunks to download... (why not one very essential big package with
all kde ?  ;-) )

> Could anyone point me the right direction in terms of what packages should I
> download for a basic KDE system? After that I do not mind to use apt-get and
> gradually getting the remaining debs at the pace I like...

Look in /usr/doc/apt in "offline.html" (not sure of the filename) ; it
explains how to generate a script with apt-get using wget to download
all needed files. So you can use your dialup connection to 'apt-get
update', select what you need, generate the script, and use this script to
download at work. Good luck !

--
Julien Gilles.