Re: stupid, but I have to ask it - how to start it up once installed

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 07:23:09AM +0100, Achim Bohnet wrote:

> Method two:
>
> 	apt-get install kdm
> 	select 'kde2' instead of 'default' in the login window

Okay, the way to stop the auto startup that produced is to remove S99kde
from /etc/rc.2 through rc.5.

Then there's the question of which of the kde steps has broken XF86Setup's
ability to make changes. Running XF86Setup goes okay until it's time for it
to start X to check the new settings, when it produces:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

and fails, losing the changes. Since the last time I tried it was before any
of the kde install, I'm not at all sure what broke it. Would be nice to get
it working again. Does kde break it for others? What should restore it?

Whit
whit@transpect.com