Integrating pon/poff with kde.

Greetings List.

On my home system, I use pon/poff to connect to my isp.  I have a
windowmaker dock app (wmpp ??) that knows how to use pon/poff.  I have
my wife and kids using this.  I'm experimenting with kde (this is a
potato box btw) and I don't really like kppp.  It doesn't work with my
serial card anyway, no options for /dev/ttyR[0-7] (I have a rocketport
octacable).

I have made some icons that just call pon or poff.  This works, but
there is no feedback that the connection has been made.

Is there a way to run a wmaker dock app in the kpanel?

Is there some k application that uses pon/poff and shows the state of
the connection? (changes color or something)

Is there a way to wrap up(with tcl/tk, python or whatever) some shell
scripts (or any arbitrary executable) into an application that run in
the taskbar (like kmoon or that clipboard thingy)?

Thanks!
  -Dale

--
Dale P. Smith