Re: Introducing DoudouLinux

Hello,

I see that customization of a meta-package selection is a hot topic ;) with no obvious solution since dependencies are not designed for meta-packages from ground. As far as I'm concerned, I was recently thinking that we can also use the fact that we disable recommendations in the DoudouLinux CD. As most people don't disable them on their computer, package selection in our meta-packages could work this way:

* dependencies → CD packages
* recommendations → DVD or real install packages
* suggestions → packages that are a bit out of scope (older children, console mode, dedicated to schools, more technical, etc.)

Of course this supposes that the meta-package author writes it with this particular idea in mind, so this may not be a general rule with meta-packages. However in my case, I will be the author!

This proposal will surely work for application packaged with separate plugins (if we don't want to install all of them on CD). But this is a bit more complicated for applications that may provide a high resolution data set and a low resolution one. My proposal in this case is to write a dependency as a OR rule:

Depends: foo-data-highres | foo-data-lowres

If we, in DoudouLinux, specify foo-data-lowres somewhere in our package list, I think we should end with the smaller installed size, while normal users should still have the standard highres data set installed.

JM.