Re: Introducing DoudouLinux

On 08/15/2011 11:41 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:03:31AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>> Explain why this is better than pinning.
>
> It is not *better* but it introduces a different/additional concept.
> I also do not see in how far this can help for creating an install
> medium using debian-life (or something like this).

Ah. With debian-live, it's just a matter of dropping the pinning into
the right config dir and you're all set (details at
http://live.debian.net/manual) ...

> I think we discussed this in the past. :-) Besides it is not implemented
> yet because there was no practical need I do not buy the argument of
> those different admin needs: If admins are grown up enough they probably
> will not use the Debian Jr stuff any more.  For a first shot to Debian Jr
> the answer: Simply install the metapackages is more easy than explaining
> pinning in addition.

OK. Well, we're treating too narrow a use case, then. I would just say
in general I am happy with the flexibility pinning offers so see no need
to use an "unnatural" use of Conflicts (which is supposed to be for
packages that truly conflict with each other for some reason, and I
vaguely worry might cause problems for the apt dependency resolution
sometime, but can't furnish you with a concrete example ;)

> However, the discussion might become a new quality now since we might be
> able to feed files into /etc/apt/preferences.d inside metapackages.  Are
> you actually talking about this?

Yes, we could do it this way. That's nicer than some custom debian-live
config recipe as it can be reused in a non-live environment. (Indeed,
live-manual counsels that the *preferred* way to customize is to provide
your customized things as debs!)

> I think the discussion about not yet implemented stuff is not fruitful.
> I just imagined some options we might have.  I'm not going to implement
> this in the foreseable future (except if there are really strong
> reasons/requests).

Fair enough. Perhaps I've expressed myself a bit too strongly about a
problem we're not yet facing. Once we have an actual problem to deal
with, we can hash out the details.

Ben