Re: Introducing DoudouLinux

On 08/15/2011 10:46 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> You can for instance put a conflict to
>
>   - random game featuring violence we would not tolerate for small
>     children (I do not discuss whether this should be done or not just
>     mentioning one possible use case)

Explain why this is better than pinning. With pin priorities I can, as
the admin, decide whether to pin some package to mean "never" or just
"not now". Different admins will have different desires. Dependencies of
a metapackage cannot be overridden by the admin without removal of
the metapackage, so unless the metapackage's explicit and sole purpose
is censorship, I don't think a metapackage with conflicts is a useful
technique.

>   - really large data file which can be used as alternative to one
>     smaller sized package and both alternatives are enabled by the
>     package using the data but we explicitely want the small package
>
> I'd regard these as possible use case for a Conflicts inside a
> metapackage.

The case is even stronger against Conflicts here, as size is a
constraint that changes from one use case to the other. If you make a
metapackage that conflicts for size optimization on a CD, you force the
admin to remove that metapackage if they use the CD with, say,
persistence enabled in order to grow & install more packages. With
pinning you can say "not now" and give the admin the option of adding
the extra "too big" data later if they wish without having to remove a
conflicting package.

Ben