Re: Job: simplified creation of Debian Jr. accounts

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:21:44AM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:19:42 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > well, not having looked at adduser-ng, I would have to say all you
> > really need is something that can speak .xinitrc or, if using *dm,
> > then whatever is needed for those sessions. Some kind of interface
> > that can take a user name and set a sane default for the age group
> > would be a good start
> >
> > basement: # jruser-setup joey --age 2 --no-password --use-gdm
> >
> > a simple command like this could speak gdm, create the session
> > scripts needed to boot straight into gcompris for the user joey with
> > no password required for login. even better, it could check ps and see
> > what environment, if any is running and make the sane choice.
> >
> > Am I in a position to write this? heck no, but that gives and idea of
> > what I was thinking. i could write the man page is someone could take
> > that and build the app.
>
> I'm not sure now that what I really want is a jr-specific tool for
> setting up user accounts.  I'd rather see the intelligence be *in the
> Debian system* itself, and not in the per-user configs in each child's
> home dir.  See my post in the "per user config in debian-jr packages"
> today for a few ideas on this.

do you mean you'd rather use some sort of user/group config to handle
this? I read the other thread and frankly don't understand it really,
but will read more and see if I can tease it out.

my whole idea is to make it beyond simple to setup a login for your
child. Messing around with groups is not how I view this being
done. I've thought on this a bit and don't really have any good
solutions. I think the biggest issue is less how to implement
configuration but what those configurations should be with the idea
that the details of how to implement them will fall out naturally
(wishful thinking I know). There are several issues that have to be
dealt with, not the least of which is *changing* some child's
configuration when they've become frustrated/too old for the current
config.  I see setting up a script that tweaks all the configs for a
user to fit a particular age group. Later a nice front-end could be
tacked on to the thing to make click-scroll mom happy.

unfortunately, my kids are already moving beyond the little-little-kid
stage. My youngest if 5 (according to her, she's 5 and one half and
three-quarters) and is already very adept at using multiple
mouse buttons and navigating menus. she's outstripping my ability to
think about these problems.

speaking of, gotta transport the rugrats