Re: What I need for my kids

Am 2006-11-21 10:50:50, schrieb Andrew Sackville-West:

> but, sure, why not! My kids are already very familiar with the windows
> procedure -- insert game cd, click on icon to launch it. Why not a

:-)

I was realy surprised in beginning of this year as Laila (15 years)
called me in Strasbourg and told me that Anne-Sophie (6 years) had
killed her proper installed with backports flooded Woddy installation
after a dist-upgrade.

Angry she had inserted the Sarge CD and pressed <ENTER>...

1-2 hours later she had a full Debian System... but WDM was missing
and since she know "startx" had her system back.

One thing I know is, how he had mounted the FileServer (NFS) where
the /home is.

OK, now I have created my OWN Debian-Custom-CD and if there goes
something wrong, she can install the same system from scratch.

But it is only ONE <ENTER> after the CD has started.

This is, why I love Debian. - It just works (except ALSA).

> debian-jr live cd (as Ben is already working on) that brings up a
> debian-jr system. Maybe not to install (though that could be an
> option). How about this? set up the disk so that if it is auto-started
> in windows, it use linloader or some similar system to bootstrap up a
> debian instance. then debian could take over the machine!

This would be a very good solution.

I was already trying to run a Linux-Image from LOADLIN.EXE, but failed.
I put it into the BOOT.INI of Windows so I can select between WIN and
LIN but there is something missing.  Oh, the image has a bootsector.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)