Kid profiles (WAS: Re: Live CD as a focal point for reviving Jr development)

On Monday 03 October 2005 20:53, Marcela Tiznado wrote:
> Hi all! I'm new in all this, I have some ideas that would like to
> discuss with you all, and maybe add them on the new version of the live
> cd.
>
> - Packages on age groups.
> I think packages should be on groups. I think this clasification would
> be perfect to do it with kindergarden teachers so they know what average
> kids need on each steps. When the parents creates the kid profile (that
> would be nice to save it somehow) would show only the games according to
> its age.
creating a packaged set of profiles is perfectly doable (the
desktop-profiles packages provides a cross-desktop way of managing the
profiles) the hard part is definining what should go in into the profiles,
so lets get started on that :-)

so what kind of setups do we want? I think they should probably be based on
skills and interests like Ben proposed (doesn't preclude an addition set of
age-based profiles, can be done in parrallel). Sofar I've seen mentioned:
- able to read or not
- needs more then basic mouse skills, or not
- can be used without mouse or not

As for defining profiles by interest ben mentioned that it's hard to predict
what kids will be interested in, so what we need is an easy way to add
stuff when kids indicate they're interested in something, desktop-profiles
provides most of that, for example:
 you could have a profile that puts icons for programs helping you develop
your mousehandling skills on your desktop if the $HOME/.jr-profilestextfile
contains the tag mousehandling (as long as you can phrase the condition for
activation as 'when this shell command executes succesfully' or 'is part of
group X' desktop-profiles will facilitate that, so the actial condition can
be pretty much anything)

-> Questions:
- what kind of subdivisions are helpfull (and don't lead to hundreds of
different profiles)? We should document the kind of settings we want for
each profile, so they can be implemented easily for the different desktops
-> what kind of mechanism do we want for activating/deactivating the
different profiles, will the textfile one I outlined above do (along with
maybe a simple gui to let parents configure it), or do we want something
else?
-> we should probably set up a team of people that implement the different
profiles for the different desktops (I'll volunteer for KDE) once we've
documented what each should do.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)