Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 09:44:36AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Do you think that the only RC-bug (#213660) which is even tagged patch and
> the package is actively maintained needs reaction? I guess all other dependancies
> (according to http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?excuse=abiword will be solved
> before Sarge release).

I'm hoping it will be acted on by the maintainer.  The bug was only filed a
few days ago.  However, I need to be prepared for the worst, hence my line
of questioning.

> > Should I replace abiword with LyX?  This will considerably increase the size
> > of Debian Jr. because to be truly useful, I believe I also need to include
> > tetex, which is massive.  Furthermore, there is the question of whether LyX
> > is truly a word processor that children can use.
> To be honest I try to teach my son LaTeX for didactical purpose.  Once somebody
> knows logical markup he is able to use any textprocessor.

Sure, but LyX doesn't really help with that, does it, since it conceals the
details of TeX?  Might as well just go straight to a textprocessor and skip
word processing.

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca