Re: The Debian Education distribution

On 4 Jun 2002, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> The Pingus distribution is server oriented. It was made by the Conseil
> General 74 (Haute-Savoie). Therefore it is quite different from the
> Debian Education Distribution which is workstation oriented.
Ahh.  This is a very reasonable difference.  I wished I would have time
to follow all those interesting stuff.

> I agree with you and this is what we tried to promote since 2 years at
> OFSET by first building up a list of free education oriented software
> and then eventually packaging them for Debian. However we have been
> quite short in volunteers to help in this task.
Becaue of this time shortage I just try to convince everybody who is
interested in those "special field Debian distributions" to not split
from Debian but let as much as possible be done by the Debian project.

Sometimes adding value to Debian vor special purpose might be harder
than just take Debian an add stuff for the own distribution.  But if
you really include your stuff (extra boot options, special things in
initial installation, etc.) right into Debian and it get accepted
than you can be sure that it is well done.

The remainder ist software to be packaged.  It is the same if you
package it for your separate distribution or for original Debian.
I repeat: A subproject does not consist only of packaging, i.e.
providing some software which is useful for Debian.  This is really
*normal* stuff every Developer can do.

A subproject means: Making Debian fit for the target audience and
take as much workload from them as possible.  This means:

    1. easy installation (via metapackages)
    2. providing a clearly visible menu structure (to be done, ideas
       will be presented soon
    3. comprehensive documentation and translation
    4. care for special needs (related to security, reliability, etc.)

If you want software included into Debian you do not need a subproject.
Just use the tools Debian has:

    Use reportbug to announce your RFP / ITP

      ~> su
      ~# apt-get install reportbug
      ~> exit
      ~> reportbug
         [file the bug against the package named 'wnpp']

    wnpp means: Work Needing and Prospective Packages

    Make sure you include at least upstream URL and license of the
    program in the formular if you do not want to get flamed by
    developers from the debian-devel list

This is the way to ask for packaging.  This way you could perhaps save
your time because a developer might step in.

Kind regards

      Andreas.