Re: The Debian Education distribution

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 08:04:29AM +0200, Tille, Andreas écrivait:
> > ... and please mention anywhere that those links contain only French
> > content - or at least one visitor is to stupid to find a translation.
>
> Yes, the distribution is totally localized in French since it's for
> french teachers/students.
Which is perfectly OK - but should be mentioned in the announcement
to save time of such poor souls like me who do not speak French.  I
hope to become a little bit better in my holidays in France this
year ;-).

> > About two years ago I talked with Thierry Laronde in Bordeaux about
> > the Pingus distribution which might be the root of the project announced
>
> No, Pingus has nothing to do with debian-educ.
Difference to pingus, reason for two different things targeting the
same audience??

> Don't fear, that's more or less what is going to happen, I'm recruiting
> people to integrate the software that we packaged that is not yet
> available within Debian. And that's not many software ... most of them
> were already packaged.
I do not basically care for unpackaged stuff.  Packages can be build
easily.

> The only difference left will then be the installer... which is already
> based on debian-installer (but heavily hacked/customized).
I care about the extra infra structure like boot floppies / debian-installer,
base system, BTS, keyring, distributors, spreading over the world, etc.

Did you ever heard of the multimedia distribution which was based on
Debian.  The project seems to be dead and in my opinion a main reason
is the extra effort you need to keep a separate distribution alive.
I would love if those mistakes could be avoided in the interest of the
project - not in the interest of Debian in the first line.

So I would like it if all the hacking/customizing of debian-installer
would be integrated smoothly in the Debian main distribution (which might
in fact be much harder as anything you have done).  This would be of
profit for you in later releases because you do not have to hack
debian-installer over and over for new versions and also other
sub projects might get some benefit if they could use your extra value
added.

Kind regards

         Andreas.