Re: The Debian Education distribution

[ CC me since I'm not on debian-jr ]

Le Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 08:04:29AM +0200, Tille, Andreas écrivait:
> ... and please mention anywhere that those links contain only French
> content - or at least one visitor is to stupid to find a translation.

Yes, the distribution is totally localized in French since it's for
french teachers/students.

> About two years ago I talked with Thierry Laronde in Bordeaux about
> the Pingus distribution which might be the root of the project announced

No, Pingus has nothing to do with debian-educ.

> by you.  I just repeat what I said these days:  In my opinion it i better
> to integrate a subproject *into* Debian than basing a distribution
> *on* Debian.  In my opinion you could learn from Debian-Junior and
> do a Debian-Edu project.  The advantages of this strategy will be explained
> in my talk on LinuxTag in Karlsruhe at Fr 7. June, 10:00.  I will make
> the slides available soon in the Debian-Med tree - another subproject like
> Debian-Junior.

Don't fear, that's more or less what is going to happen, I'm recruiting
people to integrate the software that we packaged that is not yet
available within Debian. And that's not many software ... most of them
were already packaged.

The only difference left will then be the installer... which is already
based on debian-installer (but heavily hacked/customized).

Cheers,