Re: New junior-doc 1.7 now ready

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 12:12:42PM +0000, Anthony Rowe wrote:
> Yes.  It is coming along nicely.  I like the What Now?(4) section.  It
> encourages participation in the project.

Thanks.

> > 3. Getting Started:
>
> > Now that you know what Debian Jr. is all about, you are probably dying
> > to get it installed and play around.  (For the kids of course.)
>
> I think this will sound better if more detailed information is given in
> the Introduction(1) - the introduction could be extended a little.

Yes.  Originally, that comment followed immediately after the mention
of the web site, which explains in detail what we are about.  I had hoped
(but now see I cannot assume) that the reader would see the site, learn
what we are doing, and be excited by the possibilities.

With the subsequent restructuring of the document, that comment is now
quite out of context.

> You
> could point out that in addition to the many games included with
> debian-junior, there are system tools such as midnight commander,
> xcruise (helps to visualize the filesystem), and lavaps - the process
> and resource-use visualizing app.  Also you could mention that there are
> internet tools, math learning programs, a desktop, and sound and writing
> skills apps.  Then saying, "...you are probably dying to get it
> installed...", in the Getting Started(3) section will sound better I
> reckon.

Actually, neither the internet tools nor a desktop are included in the
'Debian Jr.' task.  But the point is well made.  I'll see what I can do
along the lines of a brief 'sales pitch'/teaser.

> Is the "hello" package included with debian-junior, by the way?  Should
> it perhaps be included?

Hm, as an introduction to using applications from the command line, I
suppose?  Sure, why not.  For lack of a better place I will put it in
'junior-system'.

Thanks for your suggestions, Tony.

Ben