Re: Mathwar

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:38:43PM +0800, Peter Crystal wrote:
> I am not sure if Mathwar is still included

Because of the Gnome dependencies, it will need to go into
junior-gnome instead of junior-math as it originally was.  If you
select the "Debian Jr." task it won't be installed, but
junior-gnome can be installed separately.

Since mathwar is now RC-bug-free, it can go back into Woody
(assuming it makes it in time for the freeze, and chances are fairly
good for that).  I will re-add it to junior-gnome now.

> He then goes to include a roadmap of further development. It good
> to see that feedback can be positive and inspirational

<soapbox>
I'd go further than "can be".  I'd say that feedback is the principle
way that free software moves forward.  It is vitally important that
if you see something in Debian Jr., or something you would like to
go into Debian Jr. that is floundering on the rocks of neglect, that
you drop a note to the upstream maintainers and express your interest.
Better yet, offer help to get the package in shape, if you can.

Who will speak for the children?  Other free software moves forward
because the developers themselves are users.  In the case of free
software for children, it is virtually never the users doing the
development.  That is why projects like this one are especially
important.

A dynamic that I imagine is played out over and over again in the
free software community is illustrated in the Mathwar author's note.
Namely, that developers frequently start out working on a piece
of software for their own children, but then the kids grow up, and
the project therefore falls into neglect.

So, I'd like to challenge the list members to spend a few moments this
week to look at your favourite children's software to see if it still
healthy and growing.  If it is not, put some effort into helping to
revive it.
</soapbox>

Ben