Re: Two blind mice

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Jeffrey F. Cuff wrote:
> At the risk of mixing metaphores: it would be even niftier if the second
> mouse were also functional or
> over-ride the input to the first mouse (like the second brake in
> drivers' ed cars).  I expect it will happen anyway over the next couple
> of years, as more people find themselves with an spare com port, this
> might even drive the creation of a few two mouse applications.
>
> Maybe an extra mouse driver needs to be compiled into X? I don't know.
> But this is the sort of thing which, if enabled in a kids distribution
> (and documented:)  would be useful for adults and children using the
> same machine together. Another case of extending or reconfiguring
> existing tools to be more appropriate in a kid environment.

Hm.  It seems that vncserver & xvncviewer might be handy for this, but
using two systems.  The idea is that xvncviewer can be made to point
at the same display vncserver session, with the mouse *and* keyboard of
each computer being equally capable of controlling the same session.  An
old 486 and an aging old monitor are great for just such a second system.

> My apologies for rambling a bit. It's Friday afternoon and my computer
> is in pieces with the attempt
> to get a second DB-9 connector installed to attach the second mouse.
> Like most parents, this is not the
> sort of thing I want to try to solve through casual experiment but would
> certainly be able to use if it were
> part of the distribution.
>
> Suddenly, I really =want= to have two xteddies under the control of two
> separate mice.

Ah ... well, I don't think my vncserver/xvncviewer solution addresses this
particular problem.  And yes, it would be cool. :)

Ben