kids distribution (was : Two blind mice)

I'm sending this again this it didn't go to the list ..
Chris Ellec wrote:

> "Jeffrey F. Cuff" wrote:
> >

> > The question I am getting at is whether a kid distribution is just a
> > collection of packages deemed to be of interest/use to kids, or if
> > custom compiled defaults etc for other applications is the also the way
> > to go.
> > The latter is more work to maintain, but if it is not done, the same
> > process and frustrations
> > must be addressed by each parent who attempts to adapt software to a
> > younger than intended user.

 I guess it depends on your intented audience. If it is parents with a
 limited knowledge of the intricaties of Linux, or even none at all if
 coming for Windows or Mac, you need something that is all setup for
 them, otherwise, it's probably better to not even include the
 application.

 I mean why bother put the source code for a spreadsheet program, unless
 there is some install routine to put it in a usable state for a child
 automatically (including putting an icon on the desktop).

 Which goes back to what you said about being more work, but necessary.

 The problem with that approach is that we bury ourselves into too much
 work, and nothing gets done ...

> >  The  Linux for Kids mission statement states that the target audience
> > is "under  the age of 10", but it seems to me that it probably means
> > 4-10, with BabyDebian (Linux for Babies?) being a removable
> > customization option ... like bicycle training wheels.

 You are mostly correct, since I don't really list anything for toddler
 anyway on the LinuxForkids site. Also, there is so much difference
 between a 3 years old and a 5 old child, that they will probably not
 play the same game, and certainly no use the same learning program.

 Is your "Eater" game available anywhere ? I'd be glad to list it.

 Chris.