Re: Tomcat 9 removed from Debian 12

Le 03/05/2024 à 15:46, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :

Full disclosure, while I’m a Debian Developer and team member,
Emmanuel has veto’d the changes to the tomcat9 package in the
past (mostly on the grounds of using adduser… *sigh*).

Still shooting in my direction five years later? Will that ever stop? Can't we agree to disagree and move on please? There are other challenges in the Debian Java ecosystem that require our focus and energy.

because the javax.* to jakarta.* packages problem

Upstream Tomcat says they can convert that automatically,
but I wouldn’t rely on just that because from experience
I know that upgrading the Tomcat version is always a
breaking change that needs changes to all applications.

The Tomcat migration tool is fairly reliable, but if you find specific issues please report them to:

    https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration/

Emmanuel Bourg