Re: Tomcat 9 removed from Debian 12

Hi Luis,

Le 03/05/2024 à 11:54, Luis Panadero Guardeño a écrit :

I know that the remove tomcat9 packages was done on December of 2023 and that this was decided a long time ago. But I think that nobody has stopped to consider that you cannot simply migrate from Tomcat 9 to 10 (inserte here meme), because the javax.* to jakarta.* packages problem. The changes needed to move a web application from javax to jackarte aren't simple to do. Specially when 3rd party java libraries, aren't migrated yet to jakarta packages ( for example Apache Commons Email ).

You don't have to migrate to the jakarta.* namespace yet, Tomcat 10 supports both javax and jakarta webapps, just install the tomcat-jakartaee-migration package and drop your .war file to the webapps-javaee directory, the classes will be automatically converted, see:

    https://tomcat.apache.org/migration-10.html#Specification_APIs

I really hope that someone could reconsider to keep both Tomcat 9 and Tomcat 10 on Debian 12. If some help it's needed to do this, I could help (however I don't have idea how to do this).

This won't happen unfortunately, Tomcat is a security intensive package and we can really maintain efficiently only one version per Debian release.

I choose Debian instead of keeping using Ubuntu server, because the well know stability of Debian (plus I HATE Canonical weird things and forcing snap on everything) and I don't expected this kind of changes inside a stable version.

The javax->jakarta transition is annoying for everyone, but you should blame Oracle lawyers for this mess, the Debian Java Team is just following the trend.

Emmanuel Bourg