Re: Upgrading freehep to latest upstream (needed by cdk and probably others)

Hi,

Il 15/04/20 14:53, Andreas Tille ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I was digging through CDK to get the R interface running (see my other
> mails here on this list).  I just found another clue that cdk-depict is
> missing.  When inspecting cdk source I've found:
>
>   libcdk-java.poms:# depict requires freehep-graphicsio-* 2.4 (Debian has older)
>
> This made me wonder about the status of the freehep-* packages that did
> not had a new upload since the move from Alioth.  It seems the new version
> of freehep can be found at
>
>     https://github.com/freehep
>
> and the structure of the classes has changed a bit (like
> freehep-graphicsio is now freehep-vectorgraphics).  I wonder whether
> we should follow upstream freehep to support recent software.

The reason I left freehep behind is that moving from the old version to
the new one would probably require some work of matching old packages
and features with new packages and features and figure out how to patch
reverse dependencies so that they still work with the new versions. Up
to now, I was not aware of any new piece of software actually requiring
the new version, so I felt no pressure to embark into this endeavor.

Now there is a new data point, so it might finally be the occasion to
reconsider this decision. The reverse dependency I care about, GeoGebra,
is completely stale in Debian because of licensing problems. It's
already years old. It can totally be the moment to let it go.

So I have no problems in removing GeoGebra to allow FreeHEP to be
updated (maybe it turns out that GeoGebra also works with FreeHEP's new
version, but I believe it is unlikely), but then at the same time I give
up as FreeHEP maintainer, because I would have no interest any more in
it. I don't know what other rev deps of current FreeHEP need, though.

Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani@gmail.com>
Postdoc researcher - Université Libre de Bruxelles