Re: Status of sbt package

Hi Thomas,

On 2019-09-25 23:03, Thomas Finneid wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in answering, I'm on daddy-leave so time is
> scarce. (and sorry for the long mail... :) )

Thank you for finding some time to contribute to packaging Scala/sbt! :)

> I have some more good news :) After battling with my own and other
> demons I have managed to create a shell script for compiling Scala
> 2.12.0-M1. The experiences from that can probably be used to create a
> similar script for Sbt.

Fantastic!

> You can have a look at what I have done at
>
> https://bitbucket.org/tfinneid/scala-build-process/src/default/build-2.12.0-M1.sh

I have cloned your repo and started playing around. AFAIK, your build
script requires jars built from earlier version of Scala (akka-actor.jar
and friends). Thus I've tried building Scala and ran into a FTBFS [1]. I
will have to figure it out before moving to Scala 2.12.0-M1.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=941211

> I think one of the bigger issues for creating a working sbt debian
> package is:
> - sbt downloads the projects correct sbt version and other
> dependencies and compiles the compiler interface for the correct scala
> version before making the project available on sbt command line
>   - Setting that up correctly for the installed package, might not be
> as easy as one thinks.
>   - I experienced some problems with that when testing the existing
> sbt package in debian on a minor test project I created.
>   - I found that project dependencies was only retrieved from local
> files installed by the package, not from the network as it should
> (this applies to the completed and installed binary package, not the
> building of the package
> - other than that sbt external build dependencies must either exist as
> jar files in debian or be created as separate packages (or included as
> a separate pre-compile step in the sbt build script.
>
> Also, check what version of the jvm Sbt was originally built with.
> Scala 2.12 is built using Java 8 and hence only properly compatible
> with that. Scala 2.12.10 (at least) and 2.13 supports jdk11, but its
> still built with jdk8 (not target argument, but actual jdk8 release).

Ack.

> sbt 0.13 is required for Scala 2.12, while sbt 1.0 is required for
> Scala 2.13 builds. I dont know if that is important information yet,
> it depends on the strategy for moving forward.

However, this strategy is for the time being tedious due to sbt not
migrating to testing. Otherwise it would sound really tempting.

Many thanks for sharing your scripts and experience! I will let you know
as soon as I manage to build Scala 2.12.0-M1.

Best wishes,
Andrius