Re: Debian distributions of stable OpenJDK updates

On Fri, 24 May 2019 at 15:40, tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org> wrote:
On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 11:58:14PM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 23/05/2019 à 19:04, Martijn Verburg a écrit :
>
> > What was the difficulty in grabbing the 11.0.3+7 tag directly?
>
> The difficulty is the policy that applies to backported packages. A
> package that is backported from the Debian release n+1 to the release n
> has to remain upgradable when the system is upgraded. For this to happen
> the version backported must rank lower than the version in the next
> release. That's why there are weird suffixes appended to the versions of
> the backported packages (1.2.3-1~bpo9+1 is lower than 1.2.3-1).
>
> Currently Debian Buster has openjdk-11/11.0.3+1-1, so it isn't possible
> to upload the version 11.0.3+7-1~bpo9+1 to stretch-backports. The only
> solutions is to either upgrade openjdk-11 in testing to a version higher
> than 11.0.3+7, or patch the existing version. Since testing is currently
> frozen and difficult to update until the release of Buster, it leaves
> only the patch solution.

Emmanuel,

It seems like we need to bring this up with the Release and Security
teams.  Releasing Buster with mulitple critical open CVEs in the JVM
isn't a good experience for our users.  My proposal is that we do what
we need to get 11.0.3-ga-1 into Buster.

>From a versioning standpoint, this should work.  Am I missing something?

$ dpkg --compare-versions 11.0.3-ga-1 gt 11.0.3+7-1 && echo "11.0.3-ga-1 is newer"
11.0.3-ga-1 is newer

We (AdoptOpenJDK) would really be appreciative of that! We're aiming to get consistency amongst all of the OpenJDK providers that 'good known GA' versions are deployed to end users.  I can only apologise for not having reached out to the Debian community earlier to collaborate.  Appreciate the efforts being put in here!

Is there anything we can do to help going forward?  OpenJDK upstream has a pretty good established policy around having the `-ga` suffix added to versions it would like downstream to take as a formal release.  Is there anything else that OpenJDK can do to help Debian?  One thing that AdoptOpenJDK provides is a free test pipeline in it's build farm that could happily receive the Debian built binary and put it through 100,000+ tests and see if it matches what other OpenJDK providers are broadly producing, would that be of interest?

Cheers,
Martijn

Thanks,
tony