Re: Debian distributions of stable OpenJDK updates

Hi Emmanuel,

On 5/20/19 12:10 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 20/05/2019 à 10:48, Aleksey Shipilev a écrit :
>> 11.0.3+1 is the old pre-release, the GA is jdk-11.0.3+7 / jdk-11.0.3-ga:
>>   http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk11u/tags
>
> I can only comment on the OpenJDK 11 backport in Stretch since I'm the
> one who uploaded it last month. Debian 9 "Stretch" is far from being
> usable with Java 11 (we poured a lot of work into Debian 10 to make this
> possible) and this backport can only be reasonably seen as a technology
> preview aimed at gathering feedback.

Right. Maybe then "-ea" or "-preview" in version tag would communicate that intent more clearly, on
the off-chance "stretch" users would install openjdk-11, thinking it is somehow stable.

> I intend to update it to a more recent version, but by policy the
> packages backported to the stable release cannot have a more recent
> version than the one in the testing repository (the packages staged for
> the next stable release). So as soon as an updated version transitions
> to testing (11.0.3+1 currently as you pointed out) I'll upload a new
> backport.

Excellent, do you have any rough ETA? Having 11.0.4+x in "unstable" (preferably with "-ea" suffix)
and 11.0.3+7 in "testing"/"stable" would be the good state for the current moment.

>> Both GAs were released a month ago, and it is surprising for users to have pre-release binaries
>> instead of GA binaries at this point. Separately, it feels tad dubious to put out the pre-release
>> binaries into "stable", IMO, but that is a separate longer-term discussion.
>
> I agree that we should preferably only upload the GA tags (or newers if
> there are fixes worth picking) to avoid diverging too much with the
> upstream releases.

Yup, would be nice if outlier like the current one does not happen again. I think you can always
check with upstream 8u/11u maintainers if the tags you're building from are sane for "stable",
especially if you cannot see the -ga tags in the upstream repo.

Cheers,
-Aleksey