Re: Debian distributions of stable OpenJDK updates

Hi Aleksey,

Le 20/05/2019 à 10:48, Aleksey Shipilev a écrit :

> Is there a plan to put the latest stable binaries for openjdk-8 and openjdk-11 out? I am looking at
> this page:
>   https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=openjdk%40lists.launchpad.net
>
> 11.0.3+1 is the old pre-release, the GA is jdk-11.0.3+7 / jdk-11.0.3-ga:
>   http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk11u/tags

I can only comment on the OpenJDK 11 backport in Stretch since I'm the
one who uploaded it last month. Debian 9 "Stretch" is far from being
usable with Java 11 (we poured a lot of work into Debian 10 to make this
possible) and this backport can only be reasonably seen as a technology
preview aimed at gathering feedback.

I intend to update it to a more recent version, but by policy the
packages backported to the stable release cannot have a more recent
version than the one in the testing repository (the packages staged for
the next stable release). So as soon as an updated version transitions
to testing (11.0.3+1 currently as you pointed out) I'll upload a new
backport.

> Both GAs were released a month ago, and it is surprising for users to have pre-release binaries
> instead of GA binaries at this point. Separately, it feels tad dubious to put out the pre-release
> binaries into "stable", IMO, but that is a separate longer-term discussion.

I agree that we should preferably only upload the GA tags (or newers if
there are fixes worth picking) to avoid diverging too much with the
upstream releases.

Emmanuel Bourg