Fwd: FOSDEM 19 Debian Java talk

Hello,

Dalibor Topic (Oracle) and Robert Scholte (Apache Maven) contacted me
and were so kind to agree to make this discussion public, so that others
can chime in too. I would like to use the opportunity to answer the
initial question "what we are interested in seeing better supported from
build tools" and give some general feedback about integrating Java into
Debian.

First of all Ant and Maven are most likely the best supported build
systems at the moment. We carry only two patches for Maven, one because
we use a newer version of SLF4j [1] and the second one is to make Maven
builds reproducible. [2] It looks like [1] has been already merged
upstream but [2] has not been forwarded yet. It would be great of
course, if Maven builds would be reproducible out-of-the-box. In general
I would like to see reproducible builds everywhere.

Otherwise we have two build tools / Maven plugins called
maven-debian-helper [3] and maven-repo-helper [4] that do all the Debian
specific operations. Maven already supports local repositories and
offline mode but I would like to see native support for unversioned jar
files and dependencies too. At the moment we create our own local
repository in /usr/share/maven-repo and in addition to the normal
version, we have a so called "debian" version. Other Java projects in
Debian only reference the debian version, so that we have to maintain
only one library or application and when we decide to upgrade a package,
reverse-depdencies continue to work because they use the unversioned
"debian" instead of a specific version. In my experience other languages
like Perl or Python, which are less version-centric, support this use
case better.

Regarding javadoc generation we would like to see an option that
basically reverts to pre OpenJDK8 and simply is less strict than the
current implementation. We currently use the undocumented and
unsupported --ignore-source-errors option when we build javadoc. It is
not feasible for us to fix all those syntax errors ourselves and we will
rather ditch our documentation packages should --ignore-source-errors go
away.

Our biggest challenge is Gradle. If Robert wants to help us then he
should never rewrite parts of Maven in Kotlin or encourage developers to
use a specific prebuilt version of Maven and to ship a script in every
project that downloads it from the internet (gradle-wrapper). ;)

That is all off the top of my head. Maybe someone else on the list wants
to chime in here.

Regards,

Markus

[1]