Re: Import git repo from alioth to salsa

Hi,

Il 01/05/2018 22:24, Emmanuel Bourg ha scritto:
> I suggest starting from scratch with a new unversioned jgrapht package
> containing the latest upstream release. The reverse dependencies of the
> versions 0.6 and 0.8 can later be updated to use the latest version if
> necessary.

Ok, thanks.

>> I also have a similar problem with libstax2-api-java and libwoodstox-java.
>
> What is the issue with these package?

I have packaged in experimental new upstream releases, but I am not sure
on how to handle the little transition associated to them, not having
ever done such a thing. Upstream said that the new version should be
mostly compatible with the old one, except that the maven group id has
changed (but the namespaces did not).

So I guess what should happen is that I upload the new version, then go
through the reverse dependencies and file bugs/patches or directly
upload a new version for team maintained packages. But what if at some
point a reverse dependency does not build anymore with the new woodstox?
Should I first test rebuilding everything on my computer with the new
woodstox?

When I uploaded the packages to experimental, I emailed all the reverse
dependencies to ask them to test them, but noone answered. Then I forgot
about that thing until now.

So basically the questions boil down to: what is the best way to handle
a small transition for Java packages, trying to cause the less
disruption and surprise possible, but not depending on the
responsiveness of too many people?

Thanks, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani@gmail.com>
Postdoc researcher - Université Libre de Bruxelles