Re: Import git repo from alioth to salsa

Am 29.04.2018 um 22:33 schrieb Thorsten Glaser:
[...]
> As far as I’m informed, due to the massively different structure
> of GitLab, such a service cannot be provided with reasonable or
> even somewhat unreasonable effort, and there *were* tons of URL
> redirection layers already anyway, so they decided on a clean cut.
>
> I’m afraid you will have to somehow change all these URLs in the
> place where they’re written.

It is possible to redirect alioth URLs to salsa. For instance when I
click on the browser link of armagetronad I will be redirected to
salsa.debian.org now. This is implemented for all packages maintained by
the games team.

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-games/armagetronad.git

Creating a similar mapping for pkg-java should be doable.

I'm also not happy with the current approach of changing thousands of
VCS URLs again. It was also made clear that we have to go through the
same renaming again should we ever move away from Gitlab.

I suggest the following:

Let's remove all VCS fields from all our packages. Those fields are
optional and not required. We simply use conventions. All packages are
maintained in Git at salsa.debian.org. Period. The address space always
looks like

https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/${SourcePackageName}

I intend to file bugs against tracker.debian.org tomorrow and request
two new features. The first one is the ability to create custom fields
so that we could make it clear that java-team packages are maintained at
salsa.debian.org. (more use cases are conceivable)

The other one is the ability to override the value of a certain field,
e.g. the VCS field, because tracker.debian.org already knows what
packages belong to a certain team, so it would become trivial to
autogenerate VCS links in the future. No matter what the next service is
called it would be a matter of minutes instead of days to change all VCS
links and make them immediately visible to all users. At the moment we
have lots of broken links anyway and tracker.debian.org seems to me the
best option to maintain such information in an efficient way.

Regards,

Markus