Re: New gradle versions?

On 11/20/2017 07:21 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

>> I wonder is there a specific reason Gradle is stuck at version 3.2.1 in
>> Debian? These days, many projects require version 4.1 or later (due to
>> the Android build chain having this requirement).
>
> Gradle 3.2.1 was released just one year ago, it isn't that old. Gradle
> upgrades are usually difficult to deal with due to a mix of backward
> incompatible changes, integration issues with other Debian libraries and
> puzzling build errors. We are just a handful of volunteers watching over
> ~1000 Java packages, some help would be welcome.

Sorry, I didn't want to sound criminative. Just wanted to see if anyone
is working on it and where the blocker is. I understand the step up from
3.2.1 to 4.3.1 is huge, Gradle has been very active in the last years.
Actually I guess that's also the reason why the last packaged version
often can't be used any more. Maybe updating to 3.3, 3.4 or 3.5 first
would be an easier step?

My last take at Debian packaging is already 10 years old and rusty (I
did the first Spring Framework packages). At the very least I can do
testing.