Re: Advice regarding Java packages for SimpleITK

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 06:13:18PM -0400, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 10.08.2017 09:09, tony mancill wrote:
> >
> > This has the result of building a separate .deb for every architecture
> > [0], which will function as expected up until the time that a user needs
> > multi-arch, at which point the libgdcm-java:amd64 and libgdcm-java:i386
> > (or whatever arch) packages will fail to co-install because they both
> > contain the same JAR file in /usr/share/java/.
>
> no, if the package is marked M-A: same and the gdcm.jar is bit-by-bit identical
> across architectures, then the package can be installed. However I'm not sure
> that we enforce such jar archives.

Thank you for the clarification.  However the libgdcm-java package is
*not* marked Multi-Arch: same.  I don't know if the JARs are identical
yet, but there's still the issue of duplicating the same binary again
and again in the mirrors.  So I maintain that we should avoid arch:any
-java packages unless there are other circumstances that it.