[Slightly OT] Oracle JDK and utilities crash on Debian Wheezy, Squeeze and now stretch.

Dear all,

This would be a bit long.

I got a reports from a friend whom I've cced above. I'll just share
the bug numbers as I'm sure the devs. of openjdk would know upstream
(Oracale's bts well) JI-9046882 ,  JDK-8172754 and JDK-8172755 . What
he was doing with previous versions (before wheezy) is just dumping
the tools/binaries and it would work but for some reason they do not
work in the three above releases of Debian.

While I did share with him an advice -

Dear Akshat,

There are quite a few alternative implementations of openjdk AFAIK -

p   openjdk-7-jre                                                   -
OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT

p   openjdk-7-jre-dcevm                                             -
Alternative VM for OpenJDK 7 with enhanced class redefinition

p   openjdk-7-jre-zero                                              -
Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using Zero/Shark

While I would push it, it would be hard luck getting any support for
proprietary stuff. Ethically, morally as well as business-wise it
should have made sense to have a support contract with Oracle if NCRA
wants to use Oracle.

If there are any deficiencies within openjdk I'm sure Debian would
easily do the needful.

His reply -

OpenJDK has more problems with application crasheswhich I
was using as my default JRE but later I had to switch because of
frequent crashes
,​​
which is fixed by switching to Oracle JDK and Oracle JDK has more
classes than OpenJDK. And it's always better to use Oracle JDK when
developing the web application as it is more stable and thoroughly
tested. And the problem is from JDK 8 onwards up to 7 there are no
crashes. As my application needs JDK8 so can't go for 7. Today I have
installed Linux mint parallelly on my system and seems like there are
no crashes up to now with same JDK, Tomcat, Eclipse and Browsers
combination. So, the issue is related to Debian Jessie and Stretch.

While I don't want to encourage any propreitary apps. as the next
person it does remind me of the similarity of getting or not getting
pagure in Debian

I do hope that at least one of the maintainers at least can have a
look and see what he has been doing wrong or at least share why it
isn't working if it's a known bug.

Sorry for the length.

--
          Regards,