Re: Comments regarding scala-pickling_0.10.1-1_amd64.changes

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 20:24:53 +0200, Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Frederic,
>
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:14:20AM +0200, Frederic Bonnard wrote:
> > > I took the freedom to copy your mail to Debian Java list where this
> > > discussion seems to belong to.  If you agree please stick to list
> > > discussion.
> >
> > yes, no problem.
>
> :-)
>
> > > So we are only 10 packages away. ;-)
> > >
> > > New queue is quite empty currently - lets fill it! ;-)
> > >
> > > Would you mind moving all these to pkg-java Git and ping me step by
> > > step.  I'm fine by uploading also those packages where a predependency
> > > remains in new.  I'd use a local apt repository and thus we could speed
> > > up the process a bit.
> >
> > do you think of a different way of pushing those packages in Git ?
> > Because when we discussed previously, you mentionned that those packages are made
> > of multiple source tarballs and that git-buildpackage does not deal with
> > that properly :
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=855941#34
> > Also there is a load of binary jars which are used, for the time being,
> > to bootstrap packages using sbt as build tool, and I was not sure if git
> > was adapted to that (well it will handle this I guess, but within the
> > Debian process, I don't know).
> > What do you think ?
>
> Well, may be we discussed this previously and I simply forgot.  Please
> keep in mind that I'm doing lots of stuff and might forget something we
> agreed upon before.  Feel free to remind me about this. ;-)

I understand that.

> > (Still, VCS would really be nice for team
> > comaintaining of course given the number of package that will be needed)
> > Given that all jars currently embedded will disappear one day, we will
> > end up using a VCS for sure. Doing without for now as for scala-pickling
> > can help to speed up package submission to NEW queue.
>
> OK, fine.
>
> > But is that time gap, between now and the end of the bootstrap
> > acceptable without VCS? I don't know since I have no idea of it. But I
> > guess it will take months. I don't think the packaging will evolve too
> > much though as the needed libraries for the different sbt modules are numerous
> > but don't evolve much (for those I could check the upstream history).
> > What do you think ? is there some intermediate solution ?
>
> Well, just tell me the sequence and the *.dsc file I should have a
> sponsoring look.  I do not mind about RFS bugs as I said before.
>
> > > Cool.  So lets get sbt into Debian and than have a look at pilon.  BTW,
> > > I think we can upload right to unstable instead of experimental or do
> > > you have good reason to play inside experimental sandbox?
> >
> > well, I'm not sure, I just considered the following facts :
> > - this is work in progress and sbt will need many more modules to just build
> > any random project out there ( but on the other hand this can never end )
> > - the bootstrap process is not finished (and all this source
> > packages looks ugly to me as there are with embedded jars :) ) ; but
> > this take a bit of time
> > - I'd like to play more with all this (I'm not a scala expert) and have
> > some reviews from scala guys
> > - debian freeze is ongoing
>
> At least the last item is no reason.  Uploads to experimental are just
> for those packages that are in testing right now and might need a bug
> fix upload via unstable which should pass easily without any version
> bump.

oh ok, thanks.
scala-pickling was accepted by ftpmasters in experimental.
Let's stick to experimental for these other packages for now, and
we'll work on pilon there too. Once we manage to get pilon package
working there, that will be a first good step and we can move everything
to unstable then. That's a proposal, let me know :)

> > My unstable-experimental slider bar is not well calibrated so far,
> > I'm not used to estimate that kind of things actually :)
> > On the other hand having sbt reach unstable and people hitting
> > problems of some particular sbt modules not yet packaged or worse, may help
> > dragging some workforce :) and help test all this (such as your pilon
> > package). Also, those packages I did so far enable sbt to minimally run,
> > so at least it's not broken, just missing modules.
>
> Thanks again for the detailed explanation.
>
> > > I'd also like to mention that in the long term you might consider
> > > becoming a Debian Maintainer.  Seems you are doing pretty complex stuff
> > > and thus have understood even advanced packaging.  Once we might be able
> > > to run `sbt help` I'll probably ask you for this with a stronger
> > > emphasis.
> >
> > ok
>
> :-)
>
> > > Thanks for your contribution
> >
> > welcome
>
> So, well, just give me a sensible sequence for sponsoring and a pointer
> to the according *.dsc files on mentors to enable me to dget it right
> from your mail.

Here is the list of dsc :
sbt :                    https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/sbt/sbt_0.13.13-1.dsc
sbt-template-resolver :  https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/sbt-template-resolver/sbt-template-resolver_0.1-1.dsc
sbt-launcher-interface : https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/sbt-launcher-interface/sbt-launcher-interface_1.0.0-1.dsc
scopt :                  https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/scopt/scopt_3.5.0-1.dsc
sbt-serialization :      https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/sbt-serialization/sbt-serialization_0.1.2-1.dsc
jawn :                   https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/j/jawn/jawn_0.10.4-1.dsc
json4s :                 https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/j/json4s/json4s_3.5.0-1.dsc
scala-tools-sbinary :    https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/scala-tools-sbinary/scala-tools-sbinary_0.4.2+2.11.M5-1.dsc
sbt-test-interface :     https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/sbt-test-interface/sbt-test-interface_1.0-1.dsc
sbt-ivy :                https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/sbt-ivy/sbt-ivy_2.4.0~rc1+dfsg-1.dsc

Let me know if you need other things for sponsoring.

> I'll try my best to help you through the bootstrap process.

Thanks again,

F.