Re: Reviving the effort to package SBT

Hi Emmanuel,

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 23:34 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> > https://github.com/sbt/sbt/blob/1.0.x/build.sbt
>
> There is also:
>
>   https://github.com/sbt/sbt/blob/1.0.x/project/Dependencies.scala

OK, that just makes the list even longer.

> And you might be interested in the dependency analysis made by Fabio
> Pirola in February this year:
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2016/02/msg00042.html

Wow. There are roughly 90 rows/jars in Fabio's spreadsheet that are not
present in Debian according to what he tracked down. That is potentially
90 new source packages to create.

> Note that probably not all dependencies are necessary at first. Some
> test or documentation related dependencies may be ignored to build a
> minimal sbt package initially.

OK, I will figure out a minimal set of dependencies needed to make it
compile.

Still, even if e.g. one fifth of 90 is needed for the minimal sbt
package, that's a lot. Even more so, Fabio noted some of these
dependencies need SBT to compile, which makes the whole packaging effort
even more complicated.

I am not sure if I got Fabio's question from here right:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2016/02/msg00044.html

but I guess he was suggesting to create _a version_ of a .deb package
for SBT and get it into the non-free archive. Then that could be used to
build SBT's build dependencies and eventually SBT itself.

Would you be OK if for a start I got just any version of an SBT .deb
package  into non-free, even without a source package for it? Then we
could work from there as described in the previous paragraph. I see you
were against this idea when replying back to Fabio in February this
year:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2016/02/msg00046.html

This would be a temporary, but much needed work-around as the initial
non-free binary package for SBT would anyway be discarded eventually
(hence I don't think much effort should go into creating the package).

--
Regards,
Marko Dimjašević <marko@dimjasevic.net>