Reviving the effort to package SBT

# Let me know if this is not the right place for this topic

Hi all,

I'm a Debian enthusiast that would like to help with getting more
Scala-related software into Debian. In particular, given how important
SBT is for Scala developers, I'd like to start with packaging SBT for
Debian.

I'm aware of the RFP:

I read the whole discussion a while ago, and if I remember it correctly,
the main challenge with packaging SBT is that it build-depends on
itself.

There are some related notes on the wiki as well:

https://wiki.debian.org/Scala

Let me know how I can help. I'd be interested in having someone guide me
or in joining efforts with someone.

You can say I'm new to Debian packaging. I have read the Debian New
Maintainers' Guide and tried to package a couple of tools before (one
got rejected from the NEW queue, while the other one is waiting on the
first one to get accepted because it depends on it). I have experience
with cowbuilder, pbuilder, and sbuild as I've been working on analyzing
(i.e., automatic testing of) packages with C code.

I know some Scala and some Java. I'd say I'm familiar with Git and a few
work-flows based on it.

--
Regards,
Marko Dimjašević <marko@dimjasevic.net>